This is a very moreish richly flavoured lentil dish making a filling meal served with warm naan bread. Serves 4
2 tbsp oil
1 large onion, peeled and finely chopped
3 cloves garlic, chopped
1 carrot, diced
2 tsps cumin seeds
2 tsps mustard seeds
2.5 cm/1 inch piece fresh root ginger, grated
2 tsps ground turmeric
1 tsp mild chilli powder
1 tsp garam masala
225g/8oz split red lentils
400ml/14 fl oz boiling vegetable stock
14fl oz can coconut milk
5 tomatoes, peeled seeded and chopped
Juice 2 limes
4 tbsp chopped fresh coriander
25g/1oz flaked almonds
1. Heat the oil in a large pan, add the onion and cook for 5 minutes or until softened.
2. Add the garlic, carrot, cumin, mustard seed and ginger cook for a further 3-4 minutes until the seeds begin to pop, the aromas will be released.
3. Now add the ground turmeric, chilli powder and garam masala to the pan cook for a further minute.
4. Tip the mixture into a slow cooker; add the lentils, stock, coconut milk and tomatoes. Stir well and cover the pot with the lid. Cook for 2 hours or until the lentils are soft, stir occasionally to prevent sticking. Stir in the lime juice and 3 tablespoons fresh coriander. Check the seasoning and cook for a further 30 minutes.
5. Serve with naan bread and plain yoghurt.
Note: This can be made in a saucepan and cooked on a low heat if you do not have a slow cooker.
Nutritional information provided by: - www.firecracker-uk.co.uk