Double Cheese and Onion Tart with Caramelised Onions
Using ready rolled pastry makes this an easy dish to prepare. It is full of taste and perfect served warm or cold with a seasonal salad.
375g pack ready rolled puff pastry
1 tbsp olive oil
450g/1lb red onions, peeled, finely sliced
1 tbsp balsamic vinegar
100g/4oz strong cheddar cheese, cubed
6oz /175g block goat’s cheese
250g/8oz cherry tomatoes, halved if large
1. Pre-heat the oven to Gas 7/220C. Unroll the pastry and lay on a baking tray, you may find it easier to remove from the tray if you use baking paper on the tray.
2. Using a sharp knife mark a line all round the pastry 5cm from the edge. Prick the pastry all over with a fork within the lines
3. Heat the oil in a large frying pan and fry the onions until soft and beginning to brown. Add the balsamic vinegar and cook for a further 30 seconds. Allow to cool.
4. When the onions have cooled place on the pastry within the lines. Scatter the cubed cheddar over and the tomatoes. Cut the goats cheese into four slices and place on top of the mixture.
5. Place in the pre-heated oven for 20-25 minutes until the pasty is golden and the cheese melted. Allow to cool for 10 minutes and cut into four squares to serve.
Nutritional information provided by: - www.firecracker-uk.co.uk