Egg and Parsley Pie Heat oven to 180oC
- Line a deep pie/ baking dish with shortcrust pastry and line inside with a double layer of cling film or a large disk of greaseproof paper. Fill with baking beans. These can be ceramic or dried peas.
- Bake blind until edge is just starting to colour.
- Remove baking beans carefully and brush with egg – return to oven for a few minutes. This will seal the pastry and prevent it from going soggy.
- Mix 4 eggs with salt and pepper and 300ml milk (50/50 of cream and milk for a richer texture).
- Mix in a good handful of freshly chopped parsley and ¼ tsp mustard. Add this mix to the pastry case
- Crack 4 whole eggs carefully into pie and top with your favourite grated cheese. I use Lincolnshire Poacher.
- Bake at 160oC until set and allow to cool slightly. My mum used to serve this with sliced fried potatoes and grilled tomatoes picked fresh from the greenhouse.
For the pastry
- 225g flour
- ½ tsp salt
- 50g lard/shortening
- 50g margarine
- Rub the fat into the flour until you reach the breadcrumb stage
- Add chopped parsley and 75g grated cheese
- Bind together with 2-3 tbsp water
- Allow to rest for 20 minutes before baking