100g finely chopped onion
2 rashers of smoked bacon
3 cloves of garlic
A few Branches of fresh thyme, or ½ teaspoon of dried thyme
Couple of Bayleaves
Some dried beans
And 750ml chicken stock
2 tomatoes – chopped
1. Cook the bacon in oil and add a little butter. Cook until golden brown.
2. Rise the beans and add to the bacon with the chopped onion, garlic, bayleaves and thyme.
3. Add enough chicken stock to barely cover beans.
4. Bring to simmer for 1-2 hours. (If using butter beans simmer for 1 ½ if using borlotti beans simmer for 2 hours)
5. Add a little bmore stock from time to time to keep the moisture going, resulting in a a nice thick sauce.
6. When cooked and tender add the chopped tomatoes and season.